The Town of Malabar got its 1st official Post Office and name on December 24, 1883 when R. A. Ward was named Postmaster by President Chester A. Arthur. Two Times a week, the boat that traveled down the Intracoastal waterway from Jacksonville would deliver the mail to the palmetto shack post office along the riverbank at Malabar. The mail was dumped on the counter for the population of 25 to shuffle through. With the coming of the railroad in 1893 the mail boat was no longer needed.